Monday, November 11, 2013

I LOVE My Chickens Part 2

It was such a beautiful day out today so I spent some time outside with my chicken girls.  I like them to free range but only if I can supervise them.  We have some HUGE cats in our neighborhood, and I have to protect my girls.  I love to watch them scratching, pecking, exploring, dirt bathing and running around. I have 5 girls laying and waiting for the other 2 to start. I think one of our adopted chickens has not started laying since she "moved" in with us.

We (when I say "we" I mean the girls and I) stayed out for about 2 hours.  I got my vitamin D and they had a great time.

My husband and I are planing on installing some lights on a timer to help with the egg production since the time has changed.  I understand that chickens need 12 to 14 hours of light to continue egg production in the winter.  I think we are going to get 4 more in the spring which will give us the max we can have in the city limits.  It will make a total of 12. I want to get a lavender orpington, a maran or two and who knows what else.  I so enjoy watching my girls.  They bring me such joy and peace.  Bonus is the grandchildren love them too!!!
 One of our twins.  We just call them both Mary Kate and Ashley!
 Henny and Gertie.  The "Eaglettes"
 Henny 
Blackie with the Eaglettes.
Marley our Black Lab.  I think he would be nice to my girls, BUT I really don't give him the chance.  Our  dachshund wouldn't be nice, he tries to get their feathers through the fence, and he has been pecked pretty good.  One day he may learn to leave them alone!!


Do you have backyard chickens?  How do you winterize them?  What breeds do you have?  What are your favorite treats to give them?




No comments:

Post a Comment